Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

I hate being sick

Man I am such a wuss when it comes to being ill.

I've had an unbelivebly sore throat since Monday night, didn't really sleep. Went to the doc-in-the-box Wednesday morning but got a crappy doctor who didn't believe that over-the-counter pain meds weren't touching it, all he was concerned with was "Is it Strep or not?" (it's not, fucking viruses).  So he sends me back home, I go into work for half a day Wednesday, feel ok-ish until about 1am Thursday morning (yep no sleep again, oh and I hadn't managed to eat anything either, since Monday night) started having bowel issues, and dry heaves, and just generally panting to breathe, and by 4am was a complete emotional and physical wreck.

Woke poor husband up (he'd gone to bed around 1) and had him take me back to the doc-in-the-box at 4 in the flipping morning on Thursday. This time I got a nurse who listened to the no sleep, no food,  feel like complete shit and she sent me to one of the faux-ER docs (as opposed to the first doc who was more of a normal doc-in-the-box type doc). He was fucking brilliant. Listened to what I told him, and that the newest bizarreness that started while I was there was that I was tingly all over. He asked if my lips were tingly too, and when I said yes, he was like, well, your hyperventilating, looked at my chart (the doc-in-the-box is run by my healthcare provider, so they have access too all my history) saw that I have anxiety issues and ordered a saline IV to get fluid in me as well as an anti-nausea med and a Xanex type med to halt the panic attack that was causing the hyperventilation. 

The nurses were lovely, even though I was dehydrated enough that it took her two tries to get the IV in me. The Xanex type med did its job nice and quick, so I stopped hyperventilating, which got rid of the tingling and general numbness of my extremities.

Another nurse realized I was freezing from the cold saline IV and brought me *two* warmed blankets! and tucked me in.

I still hurt really badly, and the lidocaine has been triggering my gag reflex rather than numbing my throat, which sucks massively as it puts me right back where I was with not being able to swallow (without crazy amounts of pain).

So where I'm at right now is not being able to go into work, not being able to  swallow for all practical purposes, and not really being able to talk because pain either.

All you medicine researchers out there, for the love of being able to breathe, swallow and talk, please invent some more anti-virals so that this kind of shit only lasts a few days, rather than an entire fucking week. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment