Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Doctor Who: Into the Dalek

So, Spoilers.


So we're on episode 2 of season 8, and this time we were shrunk down with the Doctor and Clara and went inside the shell of a "Good/Moral" Dalek, aka. "Rusty".

Am I the only one who was disturbed that they defined a "Good" Dalek as a Dalek that wished to destroy other Daleks until the very end, when the Doctor did a Vulcan mind-meld with Rusty and Rusty saw the Doctors hatred of Daleks and through deus ex machina of a remembered birth of a star and the mind meld the Dalek became "Good" again, in that it wanted to kill other Daleks, not humans. But now, at the end of the episode this is no longer "Good" and the Doctor is upset that the Dalek wants to actively destroy other Daleks. But they didn't expound on the self-guilt that would have made that flip make any sense. Don't get me wrong, the guilt is there, as is the arrogance that he is right, but it feels like an afterthought.

That's the other thing. Classic series Whovians, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that they are basing Capaldi's Doctor off of the 4th. Which is fine, I mean, he's not my favorite of the classics, mostly because he seemed to have a cruel streak. And it's that cruel streak that I think we're seeing in Capaldi's Doctor. 9 (usually), 10, and 11 especially tried to save everyone, and mourned the ones they couldn't. 12 will use those who he expects to die or who are about to die to further whatever crackpot plan he's got for the episode. Maybe I'll get used to it, like I did to 10 and then 11 when they had their turns. But damn, that cruel, or maybe the word is cavalier, attitude is disturbing. He doesn't care that people are dying to further his ends. It's exceedingly jarring.

And then to make it even more bizzare and uncomfortable for the viewer, they started and ended the episode with the Doctor asking Clara if he's a good man. At least her response is "I don't know."

I'm starting to think I'm watching hoping that Vastra and Jenny will show up because I'm certainly not coming back for Clara. Nor particularly for the Doctor. His character is, as of right now, one that I feel sorry for, but to whom I can't connect to. It's like.....it's like he's all-too-human in the worst possible ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment